REST: Fundamentals of Solar Thermal System Design and Installation
This online course is one of eight courses housed under the award-winning Renewable Energy Technologies Diploma Series. This six-week workshop on Solar Thermal technology focuses on domestic solar hot water systems, but will discuss the various applications of solar thermal technology. You will learn how to site a system based on solar fundamentals and how to size a system based on thermal load analysis. You will explore system components, types, and designs as well as best practices regarding installation, maintenance, and troubleshooting. A hands-on installation of both a fully-operational drain-back and a pressurized glycol system will cap this course.
Click on the hyperlinks to learn more about the program:
- Identify system components, system types and applications
- Identify optimum sites for solar thermal systems
- Define NC code requirements for solar thermal systems
- Calculate thermal load for a solar thermal system
- Identify the appropriate type of solar thermal system based on application, site and load
- Calculate piping and flow rates to correctly size
- Design a solar thermal system given certain criteria
- Troubleshoot a solar thermal system in several scenarios
- Safely and correctly assist in installing 2 types of domestic solar hot water systems – a pressurized glycol unit and a drain back system
- Identify your competency level regarding the tasks on the NABCEP Solar Heating Task Analysis and gauge readiness to take the NABCEP Solar Heating Associate Exam based on NABCEP Associate Learning Objectives
- Take and pass the optional Solar Heating NABCEP Associate Exam offered at the end
Download Full Course Syllabus
An optional NABCEP Solar Heating (SH) Associate Exam is offered. Please note this is not NABCEP certification, it is simply an indicator of knowledge gained at the Associate and a differentiator to a potential employer. You must meet additional experiential requirements to sit for the NABCEP Solar Heating Installer Certification Exam. This course counts toward the educational requirement (other requirements needed) on the journey to becoming a NABCEP Certified Solar Heating Installer
REST Registration Fee and Schedule:
$899 April 17 – May 26, 2017. Register here.
Want to complete the RET Diploma and save 20%? Click here for our Packaged Programs.
Course Instructor Credentials:
NABCEP SH Technical Committee Member
Training Provider Credentials:
ISPQ Training Program Accreditation
Registered provider of the NABCEP Associate SH Exam
Course Hours Count Toward:
Professional Development Hours (PDH)- 40
American Institute of Architects LU’s(AIA)- 40
NABCEP SH Installer Exam Education Requirements – 40
NABCEP Continuing Education SH Installer Recertification- 40
3. Contact: Megan Cain and ask to join our mailing list.