REPV: Fundamentals of PV Design and Installation
The classroom lectures of the REPV workshop are dedicated to the technical aspect of photovoltaics, including system types, components, applications, design and best practices for installation, maintenance, and troubleshooting. A hands-on day installing a fully integrated grid-tied PV system pulls together the classroom knowledge and rounds out the five-day workshop. An optional NABCEP Associate Exam (formerly known as the Entry Level Exam) is offered at the conclusion of the course.
Click on the hyperlinks to learn more details:
This course is one of eight courses housed under the award-winning Renewable Energy Technologies Diploma Series. The REPV is an IREC ISPQ accredited associate PV course covering the fundamentals of design and installation of photovoltaic systems. The 40-hour course is based on NABCEP’s Learning Objectives for NABCEP PV Associate. A hands-on day installing a fully integrated grid-tied PV system pulls together the classroom knowledge and rounds out the five-day workshop. An optional NABCEP Associate Exam is offered at the conclusion of the course.
Please note this is not NABCEP certification, it is simply an indicator of knowledge gained at the Associate and a differentiator to a potential employer. You must meet additional education and experiential requirements to sit for the NABCEP Certification exam. This training counts toward the entry level educational requirement (other requirements needed) on the journey to becoming a NABCEP Certified PV installer.
- At the end of the class, you should be able to:
- Calculate electrical energy and power
- Identify optimum sites for solar electric systems
- Calculate electrical loads
- Design a basic grid-tie PV system
- Understand PV system specification sheets
- Perform safety standards of installing PV systems
- Install a PV system with a lead installer
- Identify your competency level regarding the tasks on the NABCEP Solar PV Task Analysis and gauge readiness to take the NABCEP PV Associate Exam based on NABCEP Associate Learning Objectives
- Take and pass the optional NABCEP PV Associate Exam offered at the end of the week
You must be present in 90% of the course in order to receive course credit. Twice a day a sign-in sheet will go around to track attendance. Assessment Policy: Multiple choice quizzes covering lecture content and supplementary reading content are an additional requirement for successful course completion. Quizzes must be passed by 75% or better in order to receive course credit.
Students are required to comply with the University policy on academic honesty and integrity found in the Code of Student Conduct, outlined here.
$899 online (register for the optional hands-on lab separately)
Make it a Diploma Package and save 20%. Click here.
REPV Schedule & Registration:
- September 19 – 23, 2016 Register here
- May 15-19, 2017 Register here
- September 18-22, 2017 Register here
- October 11 – November 17, 2016 Register here
- February 14 – March 23, 2017 Register here
- October 3 – November 9, 2017 Register here
Classes run Monday – Friday from 8:30 AM – 5:30 PM. Online courses are held for 6-weeks, Tuesdays and Thursdays from noon to 2:30 PM. To earn full credit, you must be in class for 90% of the time.
Online REPV: Renewable Energy Generation with Photovoltaic Systems
This 6-week online class is the REPV online equivalent without the hands-on installation day. This is a 6 week, 40 hour, photovoltaic workshop under the Renewable Energy Technologies Diploma Series. This course gives participants the flexibility to take courses online – either through the 2 weekly scheduled live sessions or the 2 weekly recorded lectures. Live online classes will take place twice a week, 2.5 hours each session. These live lectures take place every Tuesday and Thursday from 12:00pM-2:30 PM. Those who cannot attend the live lectures can watch the recorded versions. Online REPV is dedicated to the technical aspect of photovoltaics, including solar fundamentals and proper system siting, electrical load analysis and system sizing, system types, components , applications, wiring and best practices with respect to installation, maintenance, and troubleshooting. This course covers all topics included in the NABCEP associate learning objectives. Supplemental readings and assignment submittals are required in addition to the lectures. Multiple choice quizzes with a total of 150 questions covering lecture content and supplementary reading content are an additional requirement for successful course completion. Quizzes must be passed by 70% or better. An optional NABCEP Associate Exam is offered after successful completion of the course. After completing this class, we recommend taking the 1 day hands-on grid-tied PV installation class, at the NC Clean Energy Technoloy Center training annex, which will be offered throughout the year.
View the Full Course Syllabus
Online REPV Registration Fee and Schedule:
October 3 – November 9, 2017
Classes run Tuesday and Thursday from 12:00 PM – 2:30 PM. To earn full credit, you must complete all assignments and quizzes.
NOTE: NABCEP Associate exam has separate exam fee. Hands-on PV Lab is optional and must be purchased separately
Course Instructor Credentials:
- IREC ISPQ Affiliated Master Trainer Certification
- NABCEP PV Installation Professional Certification
Training Provider Credentials:
- IREC ISPQ Training Program Accreditation
- Registered provider of the NABCEP Associate PV Exam
Course Hours Count Toward:
- NC Electrical Contractor CEUs- 24(onsite) /12(online)
- Professional Development Hours(PDH)- 40/ 32 (online)
- NABCEP PV Installer Exam Education Requirements – 40
- NABCEP Continuing Education PV Installer Recertification – 40
- JOIN OUR MAILING LIST to receive updates on Diploma Series workshops
- Who Should Attend and How Do I Complete the Program
- Program Accreditation and Credits You Can Earn
- Logistics and Lodging
- NABCEP’s Associate Learning Objectives
- NABCEP Associate Exam
- NABCEP Certified PV Installation Professional
Contact: Lyra D. Rakusin or (919)624-3061.